English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
CRICOS Code: 093274D
The EAP Program has been designed to prepare international students for tertiary-level study in Australia and other contexts where English is the language of instruction.
The course aims to develop students’ awareness, knowledge and skills in four key areas:
- The use of English as the language of teaching and learning in a university environment.
- The cultural beliefs, norms and practices underpinning a Western-style academic culture, as well as those of the other cultures students are likely to encounter in a multicultural society such as Australia.
- To prepare learners for further studies in a specific area. Some learners have specific needs i.e. they want to become an engineer, or to transfer skills to work in such an environment. Therefore they have specific vocabulary and language needs to help them achieve their specific goal.
- English for the travel and tourism industry.
Learning activities will focus on writing, reading and listening, grammar and vocabulary development, oral presentation skills, research skills and web literacy. There will be an emphasis on the development of critical literacy and critical thinking throughout the course. By engaging in such activities, students will gain increased confidence in using English to communicate in academic contexts at Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels; and develop the study skills they need to cope with the demands of studying at these levels.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) is designed for students with intermediate to upper intermediate levels of English who want to gain admission to an Australian undergraduate or postgraduate course.
You are allocated an EAP level according to your English language proficiency (based on an external proficiency test e.g. an IELTS score or the AIEL Placement Test).
EAP is offered at three levels to cater to each student’s needs:
- EAP level 1 – IELTS 5.0 no band score below 4.5
- EAP level 2 – IELTS 5.5 no band score below 5.0
Please contact us for intake dates. Student orientation is held every Monday.
- 12 weeks EAP level 1
- 12 weeks EAP level 2
- Full-time study 20 hours per week
What you will study
The EAP program builds on the skills learnt in General English (GE) and continues to develop your English language proficiency, and prepares you for success in academic study. Academic skills developed through EAP include:
- Integrated skills using the core text
- Academic writing
- Reading and critical thinking
- Academic speaking and listening – oral presentations and group discussions
- Knowledge of current events
Students are awarded a certificate showing their EAP level.
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) + IELTS Preparation + Test = Study at University
Full-time $360 per week
Register Your Interest
If you have any questions regarding our ELICOS courses, please fill out the contact form below:
Note: Timetable is based on 20 hours per week (10 hours of EAP and 10 hours of options).
You will be required to undergo an initial pre-training assessment to have your language ability assessed to determine which course level you are best suited to prior to enrolment. You must also be 18 years of age or above on course commencement.
Step 1: Applying to Australian Institute of English Language (AIEL) is easy. You can submit your enrolment application any time at aiel.edu.au/enrol. Also, you can call Gold Coast Campus on +61 1300 656 693 or Sydney Campus on +61 1300 083 832.
Step 2: We will send you a Letter of Offer including all the enrolment conditions.
Step 3: When you accept it and return a signed copy and confirmation of payment, we will secure your place in your chosen course. You can pay your fees by electronic bank transfer OR credit card. Your Letter of Offer will include information about exact amounts due, and when you can pay them.
Step 4: AIEL will send you an Acceptance Letter confirming your course place together with information about your Orientation Day at your chosen campus including what time you need to arrive and what you need to bring. If you are applying for a student visa, AIEL will also send you a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) so you can apply for a visa at your closest Australian immigration office.